Actellic® 300CS is a new long-lasting microencapsulated formulation of the organophosphate insecticide pirimiphos-methyl.
Actellic® 300CS has been specifically designed for use in indoor residual spraying (IRS) programs to provide up to one year’s residual control of mosquitoes and other public health pests. It is effective against pyrethroid resistant Anopheles, Aedes and Culex species.
Control of pyrethroid resistance
Insecticide resistance, particularly to pyrethroids, is a significant threat to the success of vector control programs and therefore malaria control and elimination targets.
Actellic® 300CS has demonstrated long-lasting residual control of pyrethroid resistant strains of mosquitoes in both the laboratory and in field hut trials.
Trial 1 and 2: London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine; Tanzania
Oxborough et al (2009) applied Actellic® 300CS to cement plaques and demonstrated control of pyrethroid resistant Culex quinquefasciatus and Anopheles arabiensis.
Trial 3: London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine; Benin
Hut trials by Rowland et al (2013) demonstrated Actellic® 300CS controlled pyrethroid resistant populations of Anopheles gambiae for at least 8 months.
Trial 4: Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute; Cote d’Ivoire
Hut trials in Mbe by Tchicaya et al (2013) demonstrated Actellic® 300CS provided >70% control of free-flying pyrethroid resistant Anopheles gambiae for 7 months.
- Actellic® 300CS has an excellent human and environmental safety profile.
- Actellic® 300CS presents no significant risk to spray operators, householders or the environment when used as directed.
- Actellic® 300CS is WHO Class U: ‘Unlikely to represent hazard in normal use’.
- Controls pyrethroid resistant strains of Anopheles and Culex
- Ideal rotation or mixture partner for Icon 10CS in IRS or pyrethroid LLITNs
- Up to one year’s long-lasting performance across a wide range of surfaces
- Potential for only one application per season
- High levels of user acceptance demonstrated in field trials
- Controls a wide range of nuisance pests including mosquitoes, flies, cockroaches, and other crawling insects